Hotmail was one of the pioneering email services that were launched at the time when free email service was a novelty. It introduced the concept of web based email service. Hotmail since then changed ownership and was soon brought under the flagship of Microsoft.
Process of creation of Hotmail account
- Log onto the Outlook domain or even if you come on Hotmail domain, you will be redirected to Outlook.
- Here you will find the sign in page on the main website.
- You can choose to sign up for a new Hotmail account by clicking the link offering new users a Microsoft account.
- At the sign up page, one would have to provide some necessary details. These pertain to choosing a username. At this time one could choose to opt for a Hotmail or Outlook address. However, Microsoft is currently in the process of integrating Hotmail with Outlook and the latter domain is encouraged for all new users.
- Once the username is chosen, the password needs to be chosen in a combination of alphanumeric characters from a certain number.
The other details that need to be provided are the sex or gender of the person, date of birth and a valid street address. A valid phone number needs to be provided as well, which becomes part of the 2-step verification process which is followed when one wishes to enhance the security measures associated with the signing in process.
Changes from previous process
In the early days the process of creation of Hotmail account was easy:
- All you needed to do was log onto the Hotmail domain. Here you could choose a username, password and provide other details like address and agree to the terms and conditions before one could start using the service.
- Today, Hotmail has changed domain. Even if you type in Hotmail on your web browser, you will be redirected to Outlook domain which is the new integrated platform for all Microsoft email account users.
- All other login requirements will remain the same, allowing the old users of Hotmail to login using their old credentials to access their account.
- However, if one wishes to create a specific new Hotmail email account, it might not be possible anymore under the exclusive Hotmail domain. That is because the existing Hotmail accounts have been merged under the Outlook domain and hence, one will have to sign up for a new Microsoft account even if they wish to obtain or create a Hotmail account.
The other steps that need to be completed are validation of the phone number provided as well as agreeing to the terms and conditions.
Once the account is created, one can complete the two step verification process by providing the additional information that is required. One needs to provide a valid phone number as well as a security question and answer. These inputs will be asked every time one logs in from a different computer which is crucial to protect one’s account from being hacked or invaded by viruses.